You don’t need a fancy pizza oven – or even hours spent making your own dough – to turn out a delicious pizza in under an hour!
The secret is to start with store bought dough (easily found in your grocery store or even your local pizzeria) and just a few – but very flavorful – ingredients.
Store bought pesto brings so much flavor to any dish, and it shines in this pizza. We’ve topped it with shrimp (we like to buy frozen so it’s always on-hand and already shelled and cleaned) tossed with garlic, butter and red pepper flakes. And we’ve finished things off with a sprinkling of colorful oregano leaves and sliced scallions.
A quick run in the oven and you’ve got hot, bubbly, cheesy pizza right from your own kitchen – no takeout necessary!
Pesto Shrimp Pizza:
- Cornmeal, for dusting the pan
- One pizza dough, brought completely to room temperature (this will make it much easier to shape)
- 1/3 cup homemade or store bought pesto
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1 pound shelled and deveined frozen shrimp, thawed and tails removed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees, liberally dust a baking sheet with cornmeal.
Working on a floured surface, gently shape the dough to fit comfortably on the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet and spread with the pesto. You can use your hands to continue stretching the dough if needed – if it seems to spring back give it a rest for a few minutes and it will be easier to work with. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and stretch again.
Toss the shrimp with the melted butter, minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Spread atop the pizza and sprinkle with the oregano leaves and sliced scallions. Bake for 10 – 20 minutes or till golden brown and shrimp is opaque. Raise the oven temperature to broil and continue to cook, watching carefully, till deep golden brown and bubbly. Transfer to a cutting board, let sit for 5 minutes, garnish with oregano sprigs and serve.