This is NOT your mother’s salad.
This sweet and savory salad is the perfect antidote to tired old greens, and will have you making it on the regular all summer long! The secret is halloumi cheese – a firm cheese that is a cross between feta and mozzarella. It’s mild, slightly salty, and has a firm texture that makes it perfect for grilling, as it holds its shape even under high heat.
It pairs perfectly with thick slices of watermelon and pan-fried cherry tomatoes, and we topped it off with an easy garlic-herb dressing that you can make right in the food processor.
Watermelon Halloumi Salad:
- 1 cup fresh herb leaves – either one type or a combination (good choices are basil, mint, thyme, parsley)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 package Halloumi cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 8 – 10 small slices watermelon
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Additional herbs, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
Pre-heat the grill or broiler.
Place the herbs, garlic and olive oil in a food processor and process till smooth. Pour through a strainer into a small bowl or measuring cup, pressing on the solids (discard solids when finished).
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Add the tomatoes, tossing to coat, and cook until they just start to shrivel but still hold their shape. Remove from heat.
Broil or grill the sliced cheese until just charred, turning to cook evenly.
Arrange the watermelon on a platter and top with the cheese, tomatoes and pistachios. Drizzle with reserved oil and top with sliced herbs if using. Serve immediately.